There are many common foods that are highly toxic to dogs. Most people know about the basics, like chocolate, but there are many other foods out there that can be deadly if consumed by your dog. In this video Veterinarian Ted Morris goes over the common and not so common foods that can be harmful to your dog and you might be very surprised what some of these are.
Common Foods that are Poisonous to Dogs – Video Transcript:
“Your kitchen is one of the most deadly places in your house for your dog to be, I know, surprising! There are a lot of foods that are harmless to us, but are pretty toxic to our canine friends. So, I’m going to go through the most common ones.
I think everyone knows about chocolate, I don’t think everyone realizes how deadly chocolate is, chocolate can kill your dog. The darker the chocolate is, the higher the coco content, the worse it is for them. Milk chocolate is going to make them sick, but baking chocolate, that’s really deadly stuff. The size of your dog makes a huge difference. A huge Rottweiler eating a little chocolate bar is not going to hurt them as much as a little tiny purse Chihuahua eating the same thing.
Signs that your dog got into some chocolate; its almost like they’ve had way too much caffeine, so they’re really jittery, they’re excitable, their heart rate is really racing, they’ll be panting and eventually you’re going to see some vomiting and some diarrhea, but hopefully you get them in to see us before that happens.
One thing that you may not know is poisonous to your dogs is onion and garlic and anything in that family. Extremely poisonous to dogs, it will actually destroy their red blood cells. I had to treat a little Shih Tzu who’s owner fed him a leek and three blood transfusions later he was out of the clear, so really deadly stuff.
I know a lot of you out there are giving garlic to your dogs to prevent fleas. There is no evidence that garlic kills fleas, there is tons of evidence that garlic kills dogs, so don’t do that! Really, really poisonous stuff!
A pretty unknown poison is macadamia nuts. I don’t know why you’re giving your dogs macadamia nuts, they’re way too expensive to share with my dog, but macadamia nuts will cause this really weird hind end weakness and paralysis in some dogs. We have no idea what’s causing it, but keep them away from your delicious macadamia nuts.
Another really common household item, grapes! Grapes is a new thing, growing up I always fed my dogs grapes because there’s nothing funnier than a dog running around chasing a grape. I get it, it’s hilarious, until a bunch of dogs eating grapes started to come down with kidney failure. We still don’t know what’s causing it, we don’t know which part of the grape it is, we don’t know if maybe it was a pesticide on them, but for the time being, don’t feed your dog grapes. Just to be safe, I would steer clear of raisins as well.
The latest and greatest food related poison is Xylitol. It’s an artificial sweetener and it’s commonly found in sugar free gum, it’s found in a lot of low fat yogurts and things like that. Most of the poisonings I’ve seen have been dogs eating gum. It is extremely toxic, it drives their blood sugar down into the ground, which can cause them to have some seizures and it also destroys their livers, so it is extremely bad stuff. I think of anything that I’m taking about, it is probably the one thing people know about the least.
Those would be my picks for the most common household poisons that dogs can get into, and as always, if you think your dog got into one of these poisons get them into your vet as quickly as possible”
Don’t forget to get in touch with us on social media!